Do you pay for temporary accommodation?

Do you pay for temporary accommodation?

You will pay a weekly charge for your temporary accommodation. You will also have to pay your council tax and utility bills like gas, electricity and water. Sometimes there is a service charge to pay instead of utility bills.

Can you leave temporary accommodation?

You can choose to move out of your temporary accommodation, but if you do it is likely you may: no longer be entitled to accommodation from the council. lose priority on the council waiting list if you’ve applied for council housing. be treated as intentionally homeless if you apply as homeless again in future.

Can I have visitors in temporary accommodation?

No, it is not possible for guests to stay overnight in temporary accommodation provided by the council. Your occupancy conditions will also say whether or not you can have visitors at your temporary accommodation. If visitors are allowed, the agreement will set out the times of the day they can visit.

What is provided in temporary accommodation?

This means that you will have your own kitchen, bathroom, living and sleeping space. All temporary accommodation is fully furnished. However, bedding and kitchen utensils are not provided except in the council’s own reception centres.

Do you have to accept temporary accommodation?

If you’re homeless or in temporary accommodation it’s best not to refuse an offer of a council home. Your local council or housing association will look at the information on your application before allocating you a home. If you’re offered a home, it should be suitable for your needs.

How do you challenge a council decision?

Follow the official council complaints procedure. Contact your local MP or local authority Councillor. Write to the Ombudsman – either Local Government Ombudsman or Housing Association Ombudsman Service. Apply for judicial review through the courts (though this can be very costly financially)

How long can you stay in supported accommodation?

Most supported accommodation is short term, either for short periods such as up to 3 months, or, as in most cases, for up to 2 years. It can also be permanent, but this is most likely in schemes for people with severe mental health problems, learning disabilities, or particular long term health problems.

Share via: